Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tryst with Phulkari

My tryst with Phulkari began years back when as a young girl I accompanied my mother to the market while she was scouting for a Phulkari dupatta for her bottle green suit. And years later when I was looking for a dupatta to complement my suit of similar shade, I could settle for no less. Somewhere in the back of mind, that outing had stuck and I somehow convinced Ma to give me her dupatta. I eventually wore the same dupatta for my wedding celebrations, during the ceremony. mehndiPhulkari is considered to be auspicious and forms an essential part of wedding celebrations in Punjab, a must for any Punjabi girl’s trousseau.

A reference to Phulkari in literature comes from Guru Nanak Devji who wrote: "Kadd kasidha paihren choli, tan tu jane nari" (only when you can embroider your own choli, will you be accepted as a woman)

No comments: