Thursday, April 17, 2008

"My Delhi, I Care"

I really like this slogan of Delhi Government. It was coined to foster the involvement of people staying in Delhi with the Delhi city (or state). CM Shiela Dixit talks about this in a story which can be checked here.

Red FM has also stated a similar initiative, anchored by their RJ Nitin (my favorite!). He talks a lot about this in his morning show. Be it safety of women, bad roads and the recent one is the cleanliness drive. He has started going personally to clean the kurha-karkat in Delhi.

I think other states can learn a thing or two from the city. I have been in Mumbai, stayed there for almost an year. Never felt that anyone cares for the city, everyone cares for him/herself. The litter in the trains, along the roads, pathetic condition on roads are just few examples.

I, sometimes, consider myself as a confused Delhite. I hail from Punjab, studied in Delhi, worked here, moved out, returned back, got married and now working in Delhi but staying in Gurgaon. For an outsider I may still be staying in Dilli, as for them entire NCR is Dilli. But this does not mean I care less for Delhi. I have heard a few people say that it doesn't matter to them because they stay in Noida or Gurgaon or Faridabad, so they just don't care. Their place of stay is all they care, and just their society or colony or street. Is it a justified excuse? Definitely NO! Because I drive on Delhi roads, eat in Delhi restaurants, shop in Delhi markets, visit friends who stay in houses in Delhi, I feel responsible for the place. And, I damn very well care.

No comments: