Thursday, June 04, 2009

Of Strikes, Traffic...and Stink

I was travelling to Kolkata early this week. I landed at around 8.00am, and took a taxi for South Kolkata, which usually takes 45min to an hour. Just as we crossed Science City, the driver slowed down and there was this huge stink. I had just started to wonder, when I realised that there were lorries after lorries loaded with garbage parked on either side of the road. The drivers were preparing for a chakka jam. Somehow we managed to cross the stretch at moderate pace, since it was still early morning by Kolkata standards. But, in my heart of hearts, I was dreading the return by the same route a couple of hours later. I had to be at a conference in Salt Lake.

And my worst fears came true, when we were stuck for almost 3 hours on that road, on our way back. I almost threw up because of the stink, and it was a very humid day.

But the question to which I fail to get an answer is, what purpose was solved by this blockade/ strike. My cab driver was also a Bengali, and he was equally angry. There was wastage of time, fuel, money. The aam janta surely was not sympathising with the strikers. Who likes the stink!!!
And I guess, this can happen only in Bengal.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Unfortunately Zoobie, it happens in too many places. Unbridled freedom leads to anarchy - it seems any motley crowd can hold everybodyelse to ranson. Some danda is required.

Zoobie Sidhu said...

@Ramesh Absolutely true