Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wedding Chronicles- VI

Ceremony- V: Choorha and Vatna Ceremony


Towards evening, on 17th Nov, more guest poured in. My mamaji also reached by dinner time. We had around 50 people roaming in the house around that time- kids watching TV, ladies gossipping with their respective set of relatives, gents chatting over drinks...

After dinner, at around 10.00pm when I most people had done with dinner, we all gathered for the choorha to be put on me. The choorha is a set of red and white bangles from maternal uncle, gifted to the bride as a symbol of marriage. So here I was surrounded by all relatives and my mamaji and mamiji on either side, ready to put on the choorha. The bride is not supposed to see the choorha till this moment. My Ma had put the bangles in milk to soften them, so that they do not scratch the skin while being put on.

It was a very emotional moment for me and to be very honest, reality struck me just then that tomorrow is actually my wedding. Till that moment I had seen only others wearing choorha, but now, here I had it on my own wrists.



Once I had the choorha on, Ma was ready with vatna, which is a mixture of turmeric and gramflour. This is applied on the bride and is supposed to enhance her beauty. All cousins and relatives took turns smearing me with the paste, and I started looking yellow after a few minutes. Hours spent at parlour gone waste in a few minutes!!!




And, in another half an hour every one was ready to hit the bed. It was going to be a very long day, the next day. As for me, I took a sedative to have a sound sleep. After all, the bride could not afford to have a tiring look on the special day... the photographs wouldn't come nice!!!


No comments: