Friday, December 21, 2007

Wedding Chronicles- X



Ceremony IX: Reception


The next day, on 19th Nov, there was Reception function. It was a day function, that started at 12.00pm. But for me, the day started pretty early. I left for parlour at around 10.30 am. Again it was the same exercise. Wearing heavy dress, read lehnga, adorning heavy ornaments and putting on make-up. Thankfully, this time it was an old acquaintance of Ma, who has a parlour. So, it was comfortable and customised for me.



At around 12.00, Adesh and my nanad, came to pick me, and we went to the venue. There were already a lot of guests. We were taken for a round of introductions. My neck started aching with constant bowing to the elders, not that I resented it. After coverning every nook and corner of the venue, we were taken for a session by photographers. And that, believe me, is a pain.

After a gruelling half an hour with the camera guys, we went for another painful session. This is called sitting on the stage. Two huge chairs, more like thrones, were set up for us. I couldn't believe that the decorator intended us to sit on those. But we had no option. So, after throwing some tantrums, the newly wed couple went to the stage.

By this time, my parents had arrived. I was so glad to see them. It was a similar feeling that comes when you go to hostel, and parents visit you for the first time. Though it had been just a day that I had been away from them, considering that I stay away from my parents, I was grinning.


It was all set for us to cut the ceremonial, three tier cake. It was a yum pineapple cake. And, we were made to eat so much of it, I think I'll never ever eat pineapple cake agin.


Then, the gifting ceremony and photography started. A lot of smiling!!!

Another hour and we started looking for an excuse to get off the thrones. And, we managed to do that pretty soon. How? We simply hit the dance floor. And then, there was no going back up. We grabbed a couple of VIP chairs (read front row chairs) and watched the family members celebrate our wedding. We were mere spectators!

Jokes apart, after so many days of functions and travelling, we were very exhausted. So, we quickly had lunch. And after another hour or so, we left the venue.

Finally, I could get rid of the make-up, the jewellery and the heavy clothes. And, I watched TV. It was already evening. Relatives had left. It was only the new family. Fortunately, I was the VIP! The next few days would be a test for me, I was wondering. I planned to take it it as it would come.

No comments: